Americorps NCCC - Pacific Region - Class 17 - Fire Management Team - Silver 5

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Back Cut and Beyond.

It has been a week of falling genetically modified trees, sightseeing, and planning.  I suppose all of that made for a pretty fulfilling set of seven days. 

For work Silver 5 has been dropping trees left and right in hopes of getting our actual A class sawyer certifications.  Most of this testing for the certification has taken place in what is called an experimental forest where genetically altered trees are grown in hopes of eliminating or at least managing problems like disease, infestation, and natural flaws in certain species.  Silver 5 has been using the trees who are not deemed successes as our own test subjects for falling.  So far most of the team has their certifications but Mr. Josh is running a little behind.  I just can't seem to get the knack of my cuts.  Here's to hoping I'll have it all figured out in the coming weeks.



Kaitlin making an excellent back cut!
So many trees...

Jeff making an excellent face cut.
Yesterday was spent completing my 100 independent service project hours in beautiful Lake Tahoe.  While the work itself was nothing to write home about (raking the lawn of a community recreation center) I cannot complain about the setting.  Being at Lake Tahoe was like watching the marrying of the beach and the mountains.

Awesome :)
A lot of my free time has been spent daydreaming about the Americorps State/National position I will be embarking on after my NCCC days come to an end.  Recently I was sent photos of my housing which has only added to my excitement about the job. 

And I think that's about it for this update.

Until next time.

No comments: