In one week I will be packing up all the junk I acquired in my four month stay in Eldorado National Forest and will begin my return to McClellan Air Force Base. In just two weeks I will be saying goodbye to the people who have been my travel and work companions these last ten months. In three weeks I will be moving my life to Farragut, Tennessee to being an all new adventure. An experience that sometimes felt like it would never end and at other times flew by me in a blur is winding down quickly in the way that all great adventures do. It is hard to put ten months in a little box and wrap a bow around it thus placing it in the closure pile...but blogging seems like a tiny step towards doing so.
To leave Eldorado alone seems like a big leap from something both comfortable and tiresome for me. I must say that though I will miss many aspects of this place from the moment we leave, it will take time to miss the experience of cutting line for hours under the sun. As I have said in my previous blogs, Eldorado was a difficult project for me to encapsulate positively at this moment but I am sure that I will appreciate the experience I had here so much more when I can look back in retrospect. Despite my challenges here I cannot overlook the fact that I had the amazing opportunity to take a path I otherwise would have never even pondered taking post-college all while doing so in the beautiful mountains of Northern California. One day I will get to tell someone that I was a Wildland Firefighter on the opposite side of the country from which I hail and I will feel good about having done so.
Nostalgia stuff aside my life in Eldorado has been pretty good as of late. Yesterday we were honored in front the Forest's staff. We received some pretty awesome belt buckles and a lot of hearty 'thanks'. My teammate Kaitlin does a much better job of chronicling Silver 5's work than I do. If I had her blogging skills there would have been more than one single post for June, ha.
I hope to write more as my service year comes to an end. Until next time.
1 comment:
Ha, you're funny. You've done way better updating this thing than me.
Also, I'm glad that you know that, eventually, you'll look back fondly and with pride =)
Post a Comment