Today I got to pee in a cup, get a few shots, and sit through several hours of meeting on policies and paperwork. I think that pretty much sums up day two of my NCCC experience. It might sound a little drab but I am having a great time. Maybe it's being around other people my age with the same aspirations. Maybe it's the adventure sitting out on the horizon. Or maybe it's just the novelty of the fact you don't get to do a urine screening everyday. Let's just say it's a little of all three.
I got to learn even more about the Fire Teams today in a optional Q&A session. In order to be accepted you must fill out an essay application and perform a three mile walk with a 45 pound vest on in under 45 minutes. I'm not worried about either of those things. However there we're a lot of people at the Q&A (about seventy people for forty potential spots) so it's hard to say what my chances are of getting in. Don't worry, if I don't get it I'll be far from crestfallen. The great thing about this program is that no matter what I get to do and who I get to do it with, it is going to be an amazing adventure.
Sunday will be the Fire Team walking test. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.
Tomorrow means learning more about the physical training we'll be completing over the next ten months. I'm particularly excited about this because getting in better shape is one of the big aspirations I have in coming to NCCC. It seems that we will do some baseline testing to see where we stand in the gambit of things and then we will be assigned to PT teams that match our abilities. I can't wait to see how I do.
The most exciting thing about tomorrow is getting my official Americorps clothing. I'll definitely have to take photos. The uniforms range from the everyday which consists of an Americorps long/short sleeve T-shirt and khaki cargo shorts to the dressy which is our version of the battle dress uniform....or as they call it here - the Ameritux.
Now it's time to fill out that Fire Team application. Wish me luck!
3 comments:
Oh no we forgot to take before pictures. Oh well.
Can't wait to see you 'in uniform.' The only other uniform I saw you in was JULIA'S t-shirt!!! Lots of college football on TV today so that's what I'll be doing.
I can't wait to see the pictures in your uniform! Of course, that would be the most exciting thing for you!
And I have every confidence that you will succeed stupendously at the fire walk. All of those trips to Freedom Park will finally pay off for you!
Post a Comment