Americorps NCCC - Pacific Region - Class 17 - Fire Management Team - Silver 5

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Home and Back.

Returning to this blog after break reminds me a lot of returning to base.  It is only vaguely familiar and I don't entirely remember how to navigate my way around it.  It's amazing how two weeks away can turn your mind into a blank slate.

A blank slate is probably exactly what I need though.  Being back in North Carolina was the best kind of mental rejuvenation one could ask for.  Though it stung having to get on that airplane yesterday, I know that there are big things in store for me coming up these next few months that I should set my sights on.  The most reassuring thought of all though is knowing that all of these people at home who care for me will still be there waiting when I come back in July.  Until then I can just keep making them proud here on the west coast.

I got to do a lot of wonderful things back home.  I think the best aspect of the break though was getting to feel like a normal person again.  Waking up whenever I wanted and not having a stiff schedule to stick to was quite a treat in itself.  I think that my sloth like behavior over the break will come to haunt me tomorrow morning during PT however.  Nonetheless it felt great to briefly live like I did before starting NCCC even if it can sometimes be a little less fulfilling playing XBox first thing in the morning instead of doing push ups.  I hope to keep riding this high from being home for the next seven months.  It'll keep me sane while I'm rushing around the west coast as some kind of service gypsy.

Now I am afraid I have to move on to talking about things on base before I get myself all homesick before bedtime....

My next two days will just be spent as a transitional time as many teams are leaving on the 5th for their round 2 projects.  As my team is a fire management one, I will spend the next two weeks on base in wildland firefighting and chainsaw training.  It will be a little strange being on campus while the majority of the corps is off on their second spike but I am really excited about spending the next period of time earning my firefighters uniform.  Come Tuesday my team gets to converse with Green Two who will be taking our place in Portland.  I think it will be a great opportunity to share what a positive experience we had working for Habitat.  We also get briefed on our upcoming spike at Sugar Pine Christian Camp from Blue Three who were serving there previously.  I cannot wait to hear what they have to say about their time there.  I happened to be at baggage claim yesterday with their team leader after hopping off my plane.  She shared with me the wonderful experience she had there.  It makes me all the more excited about Silver Five hopping in the van and taking the ride down to beautiful Yosemite country.

Well it is past bedtime for Josh!  Afterall we have our first post-break PT in the morning.  Should be loads of fun!

1 comment:

Rusty Graham said...

It was so amazing having you home for Christmas, even though it flew by and felt so short. July seems like it's so far away right now, but I know that we'll both be plenty busy in these next months and it'll fly by just like your first round did.

You have so many people back here in North Carolina who love you and are beyond proud of you. When you're feeling down, just think of us!!