Americorps NCCC - Pacific Region - Class 17 - Fire Management Team - Silver 5

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cyber High Five!

You can all let out a collective 'Go Josh' when I tell you that I passed the fire pack test!  I must say that I totally underestimated the whole thing.  I thought 'three miles?  That's nothing?  Forty five pound?  Hogwash!'.  Okay, so I would never really say hogwash but still, the test was a real trial. Admittedly at one point I worried that I wouldn't be able to finish in time.  Luckily I had some support from the group of guys I was walking with which included a member of my pod, Tucker.  To add motivation Ashley and Katie from our pod came out early that morning to cheer us on.  It sounds cheesy but I might not have made it without their clapping and cheering.  I felt really horrible for the folks who couldn't finish or didn't make the time.  I honestly believe that everyone I saw there tried their hardest and should be proud for even trying.  The bright side is that those who didn't make the cut today can try again Tuesday.  I wish them well.  

So what does this mean?  Like everyone else I have a few weeks of training left before knowing what team I'll be placed on.  Completing my pack test isn't necessarily an all clear signal for acceptance but I feel really good about my odds. 

Tomorrow means more physical exertion as my pod does their baseline fitness test.  Nothing worries me much now that this pack test is over though.

Nothing too interesting else to add for you folks back home.  Today I mostly spent time with my new friends here and played a lot of Telestrations and laughing until I hurt. 

Here's a photo of a few of them and our jumpsuits.  Thanks to Shea for the photos.

Until next time....



Shea, Tucker, Katie, and Ashley.


Myself in place of Shea in this one.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I always knew you were a jock! :)
Look good (and scary) in your uniform. The Panthers lost again, BUT South Carolina beat #1 Alabama.
Have a good day.

Kirsten said...

We love and miss you! And we're so proud to say we know you!