Americorps NCCC - Pacific Region - Class 17 - Fire Management Team - Silver 5

Friday, November 19, 2010

Tough as Rubber Nails.

It is as though posting about my best day at my project so far somehow served as a catalyst for living out my worst one today. I can't look upon it as a purely negative experience though.  I learned a lot today by working with someone who clashes with my ideas and personality.  I think that it is no secret that I need to be more assertive with my ideas and direction.  I am constantly being reminded of things I need to improve about myself and I think that's a great thing.  Everyday I feel myself becoming more confident and prepared to handle difficult tasks.  Here's to keeping my chin up.

So what is on the horizon for Josh?  Thanksgiving is coming up quickly and though I don't really get a break for the holiday, a Habitat homeowner invited our entire team over for a traditional dinner.  In fact our presence was not only desired by him but also by two other individuals vying to serve us turkey!  It certainly feels great to be wanted.

I leave Portland on the 11th of next month.  That really only means about fifteen more workdays left.  I find it so hard to believe as it really hasn't been that long ago that we dumped all of our luggage into the van to drive up here.  I must admit that I am a little excited to be returning to the sunshine in Sacramento.  Though it will still be winter there too, I am growing a little weary of the constant rain.  I'm a little surprised that I am saying that but it is true.  A week of rain had a certain whimsy to it.  Two weeks of rain makes you feel like you're living under a giant block of melting ice. 

I can also see my winter break coming up sooner and sooner.  In less than one month I'll be sitting in my own room back in North Carolina.  Hopefully this will sate the little bit of homesickness I've been carrying with me for the last couple of weeks.


I think it's been a while since I gave you all some pictures....so here you go!



Silver 5 at the home dedication ceremony.
Lents Landing is my favorite site to work at.
Silver 5 at yet another site.
I feel good in the yellow rain suits.
That's a 5 in case you didn't notice.
At Jubilee Commons leveling dirt.
The Lents Landing mascot, Panther.
I love Panther.  She was actually asleep in this picture!
Me and Ellen installing toe kicks.  I'm getting really good with a nail gun.






No comments: