Americorps NCCC - Pacific Region - Class 17 - Fire Management Team - Silver 5

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Turf and Little Debbie.

Just when I thought I had my best day at Habitat Portland so far I end up having another amazing experience.  Yesterday we had about thirty volunteers to help lay down sod for Lents Landing. Most of the force consisted of a Habitat club from a local high school and the rest were students from Oregon State University.  All of them were eager to help and turned our huge tasks for the day into light work. Laying sod was such a cool experience.  Our site supervisor added a little whimsy to our hard work by buying us swiss cake rolls as a snack.  They resemble sod rolls, don't you know? Getting tired and muddy like that was exactly why I joined Americorps. 

My Sunday was considerably less muddy.  I went back to my favorite haunts in Portland today - Really Good Stuff and The Rocking Frog.  I've blogged about both of these places before but I still can't quite iterate how much I am in love with them.  I had the opportunity to browse through even more old photos at Really Good Stuff and also purchased some old postcards.  I don't know what my passion for pictures of people from eras far from my own but whatever it is Really Good Stuff sates my need to collect them.  The Rocking Frog afterwards served as my chill out space for the rest of the evening.  I could spend all of my free time there.  I imagine that as long as I'm buying their Ed Hardy panini and cups of coffee that they'll let me.


This is the typical ride to our build sites.
Lugging appliances to the upstairs of Jubilee Commons.
Jules, Ellen, and myself were hauling washers, dryers, dishwashers, ranges, and refrigerators.
I love wearing the rain suit.
Some of our volunteer force.
Kaitlin carrying sod.
I look like I'm hard at work!
Kaitlin and Andrea.
Post-work shenanigans.
Getting the hose down from Kaitlin.  Why didn't I take the rain suit off before hosing it down?
Fight the power.
Andrea and our site supervisor, Ev, after a hard day of landscaping.
My turn to help clean up.

1 comment:

KTcurt said...

Do you have any worksite games? After only 2 days working outside in the literal field we have like 5 word games to make the time a little more enjoyable. If you sing G6 to me, I might consider sharing the knowledge :)